2015-2016 Undergraduate Catalog

Academic Appeals

Petitions or exceptions to the academic policies of the University must be submitted in writing to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. The appeal should be reviewed and signed by the students academic advisor and the School Dean in charge of the student’s major before the Vice President of Academic Affairs will review it. The petition should indicate the reason(s) why a policy that applies to all University students should be waived or modified for the petitioner. The responsibility for presenting appropriate reasoning rests with the student. The Academic Appeal form is available in the Office of the University Registrar.


  1. The student filing the appeal should write a letter describing what specifically they are requesting to appeal.
  2. The student filing the appeal is responsible for ensuring that all required attachments and signatures are secured.
  3. The student is to maintain possession of this document and all attachments. DO NOT leave the form with an Advisor or Dean.
  4. The completed documents must be turned in to the Registrar’s Office in person.

The Academic Appeal form is the manner in which you would request the following:

Directed Study
Course Overload
Transient Permission
Course Substitution
Catalog Change
Course Waiver
Graduation Waiver